Monday, July 15, 2013

Lizard Trick of the Day

7/ 15/ 13

Hello,all!  It's me, Katie.  I'm sure all of you have heard that Allison is going to be helping me out with posts on Mydivapets ( And if you didn't know, now you do!). She may be helping me with some of my tricks of the day, since I don't get to some of them most of the time!  This is just an idea, it's not positive.  Expect to hear from her again soon!  Now today we will have another lizard trick!  I know it's been well over a week, but I've been busy with other things like training Diva!  I'll still try to get on here more often, so you can be well on your way to a very well behaved pet.  Today's trick is teaching your pet to come at it's name.  Do not get disappointed if your lizard doesn't learn this trick in a day, or even get past step 1 ( However, I hope you did the first lizard trick I put up before this one.  For this one is more difficult then the last.).  Lizards are not like dogs; they don't absorb the information they learn as well.  To train a lizard you need to have loads of patience, and you need to repeat the steps a lot! If your still not convinced, the average time for a lizard to learn it's name is one month.  A quick learning lizard will at least take 15 days to learn come.  A slow lizard may take up to 2 months or more.  Just a heads up on how long it will take!

Supplies:

Your lizard's favorite treat
Your lizard
Yourself
Your lizard must have experience in following you hand.

Teaching Your Lizard Their Name:

1. If you want to warm up your lizard and refresh it's memory start out with the trick where you get your lizard to follow your hand with treats.  Here is a quick synopsis of that trick.  Get some food in your hand and wait for your lizard to come to you and start eating.

2. Let your lizard eat a bit and then move your hand again.  Wait for your lizard to come back to your hand and give it a treat.

3. Repeat until your lizard is pretty much following your hand.

4. Next right after your lizard comes to your hand and stops to eat their "hardly earned treats" say their name with a come at the end.  Repeat this about five times, or until you feel your lizard at least sort of understands.

5. Now say your lizard's name and then come and wait for them to come over to your hand.

6. Repeat step five until your lizard is really coming to your call.


Don't forget about clicker training!

If you have an animal that you would like to train and I'm not posting a trick for it at the moment feel free to comment!  I will start making a daily trick for that animal every day!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Katie. I wish I could get my lizard today but I still have my fish.

    ReplyDelete