Hey guys! It is Allison here. I haven't done a cat trick in a while, so why not do one today? I apologize about the lack of posts lately. This is a busy time of year for me and Katie, so we have been having a hard time getting a lot of posts up. But we are still working hard to make this website convenient for every one to enjoy. But, here we are so lets start on the cat trick of the day: Paw!
You, the trainer!
Note: Your cat should be clicker trained for this trick.
1. Show your cat the treat, and let him/her take a sniff.
2. But your hands behind your back, and then show your cat your hand with no treats in it. But have your hand cupped like before, so your cat doesn't see that there really isn't any treats in your hand. Then say, "Paw!"
3. Distinctively, your cat will put his or her paw on your hand. Click and treat. Doesn't work? Do step two again and keep trying. Your cat just doesn't get it still? Do step two again, but put your hand out with the treats. You can also lift your cat's paw up when you do this. Keep trying!
4. Repeat step two and three until each time, your cat puts his/her paw on your hand. Keep clicking and treating when your cat does it right.
5. Now open your hand a bit showing slightly there is no treats inside. Again, say, "Paw!" If your cat puts his/her paw on your hand even though there aren't any treats inside, your getting closer! Click and treat. If not, go back to step two and three, or just keep trying on this step.
6. Keep opening your hand some more and say, "Paw!" and keep clicking and treating when your cat gets it right.
7. Is your cat offering you his/her paw when you give the command with your hand wide open with no treats? If so, you've got it! If not, keep trying.
Remember, pets have an attention span! A good training time amount would about five minutes three times a day. Also, if you are getting bored and frustrated, your cat may be getting bored too. But don't get frustrated. Training pets takes a LONG time. Don't worry!
Don't have a clicker? Finding one is easy! Just go to your locale pet store, and I'm pretty sure they will have one!
Don't forget our fabulous Terrific Treats section where you can find great pet treat recipes. Yum!
Do you have a pet lizard? Send a pic to us today and maybe your lizard can be the Mydivapets star lizard and be in every single lizard post we make! Good luck!
Love this post? Or simply the whole blog? Tell us! Comment your happiness!
Questions anyone? We take questions! Comment them below!
Spread the word about Mydivapets! When want to help as many pet lovers as possible!
That it for this post! Happy training!